A hearty homemade vegetable beef stew that can be adapted to suit any family’s preferences.
- soup bone
- stew meat
- 28 can whole tomatoes
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 turnip
- 1 onion
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups green beans, fresh or frozen
- wide egg noodles
- Put soup bone in large pot covered with water, and cook on medium heat for 2 hours.
Use pre-packaged beef bone broth for base.
- Chop onions, celery, turnip, and add to soup, along with bay leaves.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, and green beans.
- Brown stew meat in cast iron skillet, then add to soup.
- Chop up potatoes and add to soup, then cook for ~45 more minutes.
- Prepare egg noodles and add to soup.
Crock pot variation: This can be prepared in a crock pot by using packaged beef bone broth as the base, and cooking for 6-8 hours on high, adding potatoes about 2-3 hours before serving.